Friday, February 11, 2011

MADE FOR MORE

A few weeks ago, I went to visit my doctor for an annual check up. I normally do not dread going to the doctor, but this time I did, because over the past year and a half, I gained back 60 lbs that I had so diligently lost after I had my son. Needless to say, I had no good excuse as to why I gained the weight back. Sure, I could have said "Well, I just have so much on my plate, you know, wife, mother, full time employee, I just don't have the time to take care of me". But I just did not feel like trying to make any more excuses. I had failed, I failed myself miserably. I jumped back into the cycle of looking to food as a means of comfort, eating was my favorite hobby! My doctor, who is usually pretty mild mannered, looked me right in the face, and said "Sanpri, you need to lose weight!". This I already knew, but it stung when he said it. This statement, along with many others that were to come from people close to me(which you will discover how they have impacted me later)  prompted me into action. But this time, I was ready to commit in a big way...
While I was attending one of the weekly small group meetings for church that I co-lead, I revealed to this awesome group of women that my prayer for that week was that I would be able to stick to a weight management plan for the rest of my life. My co-leader gave me a book, Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food by Lysa Terkeurst, which I am currently reading. In chapter 5 entitled  "Made for More" Lysa explains how  "we were made for more than excuses and vicious cycles". She connects our ability to stick to a plan to our connection with God. All of the times I have loss and gained weight over the years, I have never made this connection. That phrase "Made for More" struck me, hard. I never realized that this journey that I have been on with my weight was directly related to my relationship with God. I have always loved the Lord, but I never felt like I truly understood his power. That if he has the power to resurrect his son, Jesus, than surely he has the power to help me overcome my life long struggle. I see this as an opportunity for me to draw closer to him, as well as accomplish my goal of losing and keeping off weight.

So, you will get to see chronicles of my triumphs, my failures (though I hope not too many), my vulnerability, my hopes and fears. I pray these entries will be self-medicating in a healthy and positive way. I also hope that I can help others along the way.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you Sanpri. You won't believe this but I just bought Made to Crave. However, I am only on Chapter 2. This book is amazing so far. I will follow your story for encouragement. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete