Saturday, January 26, 2013

My Prayer for Disciplined Consumption

"Dear God,
This month you gave me an opportunity to fast for 21 days, and draw my strength from you. During this time, I learned many things about myself. I learned about what role food plays in my life, and most importantly, I learned that your grace knows no bounds. Your grace pours continuously over my life like a waterfall. It has been refreshing having this intimate time with you. The first few days of fasting dairy, meat, sweets, and refined/enriched pastas/grains, I felt so puny. I noticed that I was having trouble keeping my breathing in sync with my runs. I felt slow and powerless with my strength training. However, what I soon discovered was that my reliance on my physical power was trust misplaced. I was depending on food for energy and strength, when I really should have been depending on you.

Yes, food is important. It is a catalyst for many biological processes to occur in our bodies, but it is NOT our true energy source. Food does not awaken me in the morning, nor does it motivate me to get up at 5 am on Saturdays to run when I could be asleep. Once I realized this, I started to refocus and remember your promises. During this time, I also started to read the book of Daniel. I have read this book many times before. I love Daniel. He was such a visionary, a non-conformist. Even in the midst of captivity, he trusted in you to rescue him in times of trouble and to provide him with impeccable wisdom. He did not indulge in pagan pleasantries. He ate of the earth and proved to rulers that you did not have to feast on carnage to be strong. After a few days into my fast and meditating on your word, my strength began to rise. I felt renewed. I won't say that the fast was without its challenges, which I am quite sure the Devil threw my way. There were baby showers and work celebrations that featured some of my favorite foods. People would ask me to "Have some" and I would have to kindly refuse.I received many an odd stare from people who have told me I didn't need to lose any more weight, not understanding my purpose for not partaking of certain foods. My husband and son were still eating what they wanted too, as I ate a plate of vegetables. Yet I remained disciplined because I did not want to break my promise to you, and you were the one who carried me through when temptations got strong.

Although consumption of food is one of the most pleasurable experiences one can have, I now know that I can do without certain foods and be content. I can truly see how wasteful I was being, when there are people in this world who would be content with just a corner of a plate of food I inhale on a daily basis. This fast was not about losing weight, it was about gaining insight about your plans for me this year. I know that this will be a year of stability for me financially and personally. I have managed to really stick with something long enough to see the results. I am excited about opportunities to reach new goals. I thank you Lord, for using me to help my husband to also see the benefits of fasting on his own. Although he only fasted for two days, he too learned what it took me 21 days to discover. Even though I am not fasting any more, there are certain rules I still intend on following (i.e dairy free fridays, meatless mondays,sweetless sundays) just to remind me that I need not to indulge in food just because I can. I need to draw closer to you, because it is what you have called me to do. YOU are my energy source.

In your son, Jesus' name. I thank you."

Amen









No comments:

Post a Comment