Sunday, April 10, 2011

Milk:It Does A Body Good

   I have never been a big milk drinker. Even as a child, I would only put just enough milk over my cereal to cover it, would only drink it if it was mixed with something (i.e icecream, chocolate syrup), or if I needed it for cooking purposes. I remember as a grad student at the University of Central Florida, I had this crazy roommate, who I would call obsessed with milk (T, if by chance you are reading this, you know I love you girl!). Most of us in the apartment could use a half gallon of milk in 1 week, maybe a week in a half. I swear T would drink like a gallon a day. She even had these pajamas with cows on it and the little footies. Can you imagine a grown female with a one piece red pajama suit covered with cows and footies? It was hilarious, but she was unashamed about her milk obsession.

   Recently, I have been drinking these carnation instant breakfast powders in the mornings, which you have to mix with a glass of milk. Ideally for the extremely health conscience person, fat free skim milk is the milk of choice. But, I have not reached that point yet, and I have settled for 2% lactose free milk to prevent stomach upset. However, this last week, I was unable to get to the store after I ran out of my milk. So for breakfast I would eat some fruit and nutella and a bottle of water. But this week, I noticed that I gained weight. Well, you can imagine my frustration. Not only did I gain weight, but I was further away from my goal. I hadn't changed my workout routine, and  I pretty much ate the same type of meals with the same frequency. But I put on 3 pounds!

   Looking  back over the week, I realized that I had not had my daily glass of milk. I have read various articles that suggest one glass of milk daily, regardless of the fat content, can aid in weight loss. Now even though I have heard of this before, I never considered it because at that point in my life I was not actively trying to lose weight. After an intense workout at the gym on Friday, I went to the store and got my milk. Now, I don't know if it was the workout, or the fact that I was able to drink my milk the next morning before work, but I am back on the losing side. So, maybe my dear friend T was onto something. Though you may not see me leaping for joy in a cow jumpsuit, I think I may be a new fan of milk. There are so many healthy ways to make it enjoyable for me, that I am able to make it a regular part of my diet, and hopefully lose some weight!

WEIGHT LOSS TO DATE: Well, tune in next week. I think I may reach my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment