Monday, June 20, 2011

"Exercising" My Full Potential

This week at church, one of our campus pastor's preached in the absence of our lead pastor. Pastor Brey spoke on "Potential". One of the key points stated was, " Embrace your weaknesses to recognize your potential". So, I thought to myself,"What are my weaknesses?" I mean, I should know the answer to this question by now, after all, it is often one of the many questions asked when I have interviewed for different jobs. I remember as a teenager interviewing for a job, my stepdad gave me a different way to approach this question. Instead of starting off with "Well, some of my weaknesses are...", start off with, "I consider what would be deemed as "weaknesses" as areas for improvement that I am working on mastering daily...". At the time I did not think the phrase made much sense, but I believe this answer played a major part in me getting the job every time.

Rather then dwell on what I am not good at(i.e I am clearly not made for running), I am learning to try to improve in areas that I am the least confident in my abilities. So, I can't run a 5K. However, I can run 15 minutes straight without stopping now, which I hadn't been able to do at the beginning of this journey. I am not always good at meal planning, but I am learning to mentally count calories, and practice portion control. By recognizing areas in which I need improvement, I can formulate a plan of action. Many of us tend to dwell on the negativity of the "weakness" then trying to turn the weakness into a strength. In my past, the "dwelling" approach often caused discouragement, non-compliance with my weight program,self-pity, and eventually weight gain.

I truly want to end the negative cycle. I've realized I have been going at this for 5 months now. I'm tired. I'm hungry. But I am recognizing my potential through my efforts to rebuke carnal desires. The areas in my life that I thought were my weaknesses,lack of self control and self assurance, are slowly revolving into strengths which are reflected through my physical appearance. It is a wonderful thing when good health glows from the inside out.


WEIGHT LOSS TO DATE: 34 POUNDS! Yaay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment