Monday, August 1, 2011

I'm allowed to indulge a little, right?

This week I am hoping will be one of the most exciting weeks of my life. I am going to Italy! Among the sites and people, I know that there will be a lot of food! While I feel that I have emotional eating under control, for the most part, my biggest fear is eating just because food is there and I can. Part of me says, " I'm paying a lot of money to be on this trip, I might as well just go for it and enjoy it all". But the other part of me says "Remember, everything in moderation..." I've come so far over the last 6 months as far as my ability to overcome temptation, and I have been trying to push myself physically to feel better from the inside out.

I really don't want to allow one week to change the rest of my life in a negative way. Maybe I am being over dramatic, as I tend to be sometimes if you really know me. However, I am just trying to plan ahead. I am grateful that we will be doing TONS of walking, so hopefully most of the calories I consume will burn off quickly. I've also heard that Europeans eat smaller portions, unlike us frivolous Americans, lol. My mother told me that most of the people she observed while over in Europe were not overweight, and that things in general tend to be smaller. She also said that people seemed to be happier. I thought this was interesting.

Here in the United States, we have so much. We have to have the biggest cars, the biggest houses. We waste a lot of resources. Yet, a lot of people hide behind these material things to mask the unhappiness they feel about themselves. I know I have been guilty of this, which has in the past led down the path to unhealthy eating habits. So, the question is can I indulge without suffering the consequences? Well, let me put it this way: I am not going to consume anything that I am going to feel guilty about. I want to take in the whole scene of Rome and Florence, and there is so much more to Italy than food. I plan on indulging in the experience of being on another side of the world. When in Rome, I will do what the Romans do!


WEIGHT LOSS TO DATE: 44 lbs!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! Enjoy your trip! Whatever you do, do it in moderation. I haven't been to Italy but I've been to Greece and we did quite a bit of walking (a good thing). And you are so right... "there's more to Italy than food"

    ReplyDelete