Sunday, March 27, 2011

Discovering My Inner Chef

Growing up, I didn't really have a desire to learn how to cook as a child. It could have been because I was raised by my single mom for the most part, and she really did not have the time to teach me how to cook while she was trying to be the best mom she could be, work full time and go to school part time. I only got to see my dad(who is a pretty good cook), on weekends. While the food he cooked was great, half the time, I didn't know what it was(he tends to get pretty creative). There was always some kind of variation to traditional spaghetti or pot roast, so it got kinda hard to follow.

Becoming more nutritionally aware has allowed me to discover that while I don't always have the time to cook, I actually like to cook. There are foods out there that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less, which are healthy and delicious. I was never a really a big meat eater, because I didn't know how many ways you could creatively prepare meat. I began to research different recipes and discover ways I could spice up my bland meat life. One food that has always been consistent in my life was fish, so I have even discovered ways to make fish even more enjoyable.  Even veggies can be made differently than what I only knew. I discovered that the key to enjoying healthier meals is seasoning (my favorite poultry seasoning is Bet's Seasoning located at Harris Teeter, in case you wanted to know :))

So, on this journey, I have been cooking at least 3 times a week. I usually try to prepare the meal the night before. I look forward to eating that meal all day, and when I get home all I have to do is nuke it the microwave. I am actually saving money too, go figure! I am cooking right now as I am typing this blog, got my ribs in the crock pot getting all good and tender for me!lol

Please, feel free to share any quick, healthy recipes that will help me and others along this journey to a healthier lifestyle.

WEIGHT LOSS TO DATE AFTER 8 WEEKS: 23 lbs...I am 3 lbs away from my first short term goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment